WHEREAS in pursuance of a Resolution of the Government of India in the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue) Number 8/35/2005-E.S., dated 11 th November 2005, a single member Authority named the ‘Justice R.S. Pathak Inquiry Authority', consisting of Mr. Justice R.S. Pathak, former Chief Justice of India and former Judge of the International Court of Justice has been set up:
- To inquire into the sources of information, materials and documents that were available with the Independent Inquiry Committee (appointed by the Secretary General of the United Nations to investigate the administration of the UN Oil-For-Food Programme headed by Mr. Paul Volcker, former Chairman of the United States Federal Reserve) in its Fifth and Final Substantive Report (including the Tables) pertaining to contracts bearing number M/9/54 and number M/10/57 and to give its opinion on the authenticity and reliability of the said sources, materials and documents, and whether, in its opinion, the purported transactions in oil are genuine or not.
- To inquire into the aforesaid information, materials and documents, and any other material or evidence that may be obtained by the Inquiry Authority, and to give its opinion whether the references to Indian entities and individuals pertaining to contracts bearing number M/9/54 and number M/10/57 are justified or not.
- To inquire into the question whether any Indian entity or individual received any money or other consideration from, or paid any money or other consideration to, any government, agency, company, firm or individual in connection with the purported transactions in oil under the United nations Oil-For-Food-Programme pertaining to contracts bearing number M/9/54 and number M/10/57.
- To inquire into any other aspect or matter relevant to the inquiry pertaining to contracts bearing number M/9/54 and number M/10/57.
- To make any recommendations or suggestions that the Inquiry Authority may consider necessary or proper.
Notice is hereby given that all persons having knowledge of the facts and circumstances relating to matters referred to the Inquiry Authority, and having interest in the proceedings before the Inquiry Authority or who wish to assist the Inquiry Authority in making its suggestions, may submit their statement of facts/allegations, supported by affidavit duly verified by the deponent and sworn before a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate, First Class or any other authority empowered under law to administer oath, along with five spare copies thereof, to the office of the Inquiry Authority on any working day between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. either in person or through Registered Post/Speed Post or courier service at the office of the Inquiry Authority at the place noted below within 15 days of the publication of this notice.
All statements and affidavits must comply with the Justice R.S. Pathak Inquiry Authority (Regulation of Procedure) Order, 2006 [See Note below].
The affidavit shall be verified in the following manner:-
“Verified that the statements made in paragraphs ____ of the above statement/ affidavit are true to my personal knowledge and those of paragraphs ____ are true to information received and believed to be true”.
The Magistrate or the authority empowered under law to administer oath before whom the affidavit is sworn, shall make endorsements thereon in the following manner:-
“Sworn before me by the deponent who is identified to my satisfaction by ___ or is personally known to me. The affidavit has been read out in full to the deponent who has signed after admitting it to be correct, this ___ day of ___ 2006 at ___”
Seal and signature of the Magistrate/ Authority”
The affidavit shall be drawn up in the first person and divided into paragraphs to be numbered consecutively. The opening paragraph of the affidavit shall state the description, occupation, postal and the permanent address of the deponent of the affidavit.
All communications to the Authority, including statements and the accompanying affidavits so filed, shall be in English. However, if the same are in any other language, they shall be accompanied by a true translation of the same in English, duly authenticated by an affidavit of the person making the communication to be such true translation.
The proceedings before the Inquiry Authority are judicial proceedings under subsection (5) of Section 5 of the Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952 made applicable under Section 11 of The Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952 vide the Central Government through the Ministry of Finance (Department of Revenue) notification in the Gazette of India [Extraordinary, Part II-Section 3-Subsection (ii)] No. 1186 dated November 11, 2005 directing that certain provisions of The Commissions of Inquiry Act, 1952 be made applicable to the Authority. Any person found to have made false or misleading statement or allegation before the Inquiry Authority shall be liable to punishment under Section 193 of the Indian Penal Code with imprisonment for a term which may extend to seven years and shall also be liable to fine.
The Justice R.S. Pathak Inquiry Authority (Regulation of Procedure) Order, 2006 can be obtained from the office of the Inquiry Authority or from www.jrspia.nic.in
Facilitation staff will be available in the Main Lobby of the Vigyan Bhawan Annexe on all working days between 10:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m. to receive statements/affidavits.
In case of any difficulty, the office of the Inquiry Authority may be contacted at the following telephone numbers:
All affidavits submitted in the manner stated above and within the time prescribed may be addressed to:
Smt. Sudha Pillai
Justice R.S. Pathak Inquiry Authority,
Room No. 245,
Vigyan Bhawan Annexe,
Maulana Azad Road,
New Delhi – 110 011.